A water heater typically lasts 8-12 years, yet only if it is appropriately preserved. A simple three-step annual maintenance plan will certainly prolong the life of your water heater.
You can choose for a water heater service to complete the task for you if you do not really feel all set to do it yourself. With a screwdriver as well as container, a property owner can normally complete the upkeep of the water heater on his very own. Before you begin, switch off the power (for electric hot water heater) or the gas supply (for gas heating units) for safety:
• Electric: Switch off the breaker for the water heater in your home’s service panel (breaker box).
• Gas: Turn the pilot knob (situated on the hot water heater’s gas valve/thermostat) to the OFF setting.
Do a Mini-Flush
Prevent rust and deterioration by getting rid of sediment from all-time low of the container, a job that also improves the energy performance of the system. A total flush of the water heating unit storage tank is best, it needs shutting down the water heating unit. A mini-flush works well, takes a fraction of the time, and also can be done while the hot water heater is running:
1. Location a container under the drainpipe valve located near the bottom of the hot water heater storage tank.
2. Transform the valve counterclockwise to release 1 to 2 gallons of water into the bucket. Some drain shutoffs have a handle, while others have a brief stem with a port for a flathead screwdriver. Warning: The water will be really warm, so make sure to stay clear of shedding on your own.
3. Shut the valve by turning it clockwise.
If the valve will not open, call a plumber to carry out maintenance.
Examine the T&P Valve
The temperature as well as pressure (T&P) alleviation shutoff is a crucial safety and security feature of your water heating unit. Water heating unit producers recommend evaluating the T&P valve once per year.
The T&P valve might be found at the top of the heating unit tank or in the side wall surface, and also it has a discharge tube that expands down towards the base of the container. To examine the valve:
1. Area a bucket under the end of the discharge tube attached to the T&P valve.
This will certainly release warm water with the discharge tube as well as into the bucket. Caution: The water is extremely warm, so take care to stay clear of skin contact.
3. Allow the water circulation for a couple of secs, then let go of the bar as well as permit it to snap back into place, turning off the water.
If the T&P valve does not open and also launch water, or if it leaks after the examination, the shutoff must be changed.
Dial Down the Temperature level
Water heaters are commonly installed at a predetermined temperature of 130 to 140 levels Fahrenheit. The U.S. Department of Power recommends a setting of 120 F for many households, approximating that this can reduce power costs for water heating by even more than 5 percent. Lower temperature levels likewise lower the threat of scalding and slow the build-up of mineral deposits in your hot water heater tank.
To reduce the water temperature on a gas hot water heater, turn the temperature level dial on the heating unit’s gas valve to 120 F.
To decrease the water temperature level on an electric hot water heater, you could need to remove a little steel panel covering the thermostat:
1. Shut off the power to the hot water heater by turning off the proper breaker in your house’s breaker box.
2. Get rid of the thermostat access panel and also readjust the temperature to the preferred setup. This may require a flathead screwdriver.
3. Change the thermostat cover and also transform the power back on at the breaker box.
Numerous electrical hot water heater have both an upper and a lower thermostat. If yours has 2, change the lower thermostat to the same temperature setting as the top.
Prior to you start, transform off the power (for electrical water heaters) or the gas supply (for gas heaters) for safety:
A complete flush of the water heater tank is best, it calls for shutting down the water heating unit. The temperature level as well as pressure (T&P) relief shutoff is an essential security function of your water heating unit. Without a functional T&P valve, a water heater is at threat of explosion. Water heater makers advise checking the T&P shutoff once per year.
WATER HEATER REPAIR: IS IT BETTER TO ASK FOR PROFESSIONAL AID? in Granada Hills