A water heater typically lasts 8-12 years, but only if it is correctly kept. A basic three-step annual maintenance plan will expand the life of your water heater.
If you don’t really feel prepared to do it on your own, you can select a hot water heater service to complete the work for you. With a screwdriver and also bucket, a homeowner can normally finish the upkeep of the water heater on his own. Prior to you begin, shut off the power (for electric hot water heater) or the gas supply (for gas heaters) for safety:
• Electric: Turn off the circuit breaker for the hot water heater in your house’s circuit box (breaker box).
• Gas: Turn the pilot handle (situated on the hot water heater’s gas valve/thermostat) to the OFF position.
Do a Mini-Flush
Protect against corrosion and rust by getting rid of debris from the bottom of the storage tank, a job that additionally boosts the power efficiency of the system. Although a total flush of the hot water heater storage tank is best, it calls for shutting down the water heater. A mini-flush jobs well, takes a fraction of the time, and also can be done while the hot water heater is running:
1. Location a bucket under the drainpipe valve found near all-time low of the water heater container.
Transform the valve counterclockwise to release 1 to 2 gallons of water into the container. Caution: The water will certainly be extremely warm, so take care to stay clear of burning on your own.
3. Close the shutoff by transforming it clockwise.
Get in touch with a plumbing to carry out maintenance if the valve won’t open up.
Examine the T&P Valve
The temperature level and also pressure (T&P) alleviation shutoff is a crucial security function of your water heating system. Water heating unit producers recommend checking the T&P valve when per year.
The T&P shutoff might be situated on top of the heating unit container or in the side wall, as well as it has a discharge tube that expands down toward the base of the storage tank. To examine the valve:
1. Place a pail under completion of the discharge tube connected to the T&P valve.
This will certainly release warm water via the discharge tube and also into the bucket. Caution: The water is extremely warm, so take treatment to stay clear of skin contact.
3. Allow the water circulation for a couple of seconds, then let go of the lever as well as permit it to snap back right into area, turning off the water.
If the T&P valve does closed and also release water, or if it leakages after the test, the shutoff has to be replaced.
Dial Down the Temperature
Hot water heater are typically mounted at a pre-programmed temperature level of 130 to 140 levels Fahrenheit. The U.S. Division of Energy suggests a setup of 120 F for the majority of households, estimating that this can minimize power costs for water heating by more than 5 percent. Reduced temperature levels also decrease the danger of hot and also slow down the buildup of natural resource in your water heater tank.
To decrease the water temperature on a gas hot water heater, turn the temperature level dial on the heater’s gas valve to 120 F.
To reduce the water temperature level on an electrical water heater, you might require to get rid of a little metal panel covering the thermostat:
1. Shut off the power to the hot water heater by turning off the suitable breaker in your house’s breaker box.
2. Get rid of the thermostat access panel as well as adjust the temperature to the desired setting. This might require a flathead screwdriver.
3. Change the thermostat cover and transform the power back on at the breaker box.
Several electrical hot water heater have both a top and also a lower thermostat. Change the lower thermostat to the exact same temperature setting as the top if your own has two.
Before you begin, transform off the power (for electrical water heating systems) or the gas supply (for gas heating units) for safety and security:
A total flush of the water heating system container is best, it requires closing down the water heater. The temperature level as well as stress (T&P) alleviation valve is an important security function of your water heating system. Without a functional T&P shutoff, a water heater is at threat of explosion. Water heating unit manufacturers recommend checking the T&P shutoff once per year.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO LET WATER HEATER REPAIR TO A PLUMBING COMPANY? in Sylmar
Parts of a Gas Water Heater in Sylmar